The DAISY Foundation
CACCN is a proud supportive association of The DAISY Foundation!
DAISY is an acronym for Diseases Attacking the Immune System. The DAISY Foundation was formed in November, 1999, by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died at age 33 of complications of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP). During his hospitalization, Pat’s family was truly touched by his nurses’ care – not only the impressive clinical skill but especially the compassion and kindness they showed Pat and his family. So when he died, his family felt compelled to express their profound gratitude to nurses for the work they do for patients and their families every day. Today, The DAISY Award honors extraordinary nursing care in nearly 1,800 healthcare facilities in fourteen countries, including Canada. Over 40,000 nurses have been honored, to date, and over 140,000 nurses nominated for The DAISY Award. Why Meaningful Recognition is so important: More Information
Canadian Critical Care DAISY Nurses
- Rae-Ann Boucher, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Edmonton, AB
- Julie Carlini, Leamington District Memorial Hospital, Lemington, ON
- Karen Dryden-Palmer, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- Katherine Groenewegen, Leamington District Memorial Hospital, Lemington, ON (2009)
- Rhonda Porter, Halifax, NS
Critical Care Nurses in Canada who are recipients of the DAISY Award, please email CACCN at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and place of residence, so we may update our listing.
Participating Healthcare Organizations in Canada
- Capital District Health Authority, Dartmouth, NS
- Hotel Dieu Grace Hospital, Windsor, ON
- Leamington District Memorial Hospital, Leamington, ON
- Royal Alexandra Hospital, Edmonton, AB
- The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary, AB
- Windsor Regional Hospital - Metropolitan Campus, Windsor, ON
For more information about The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses and the Foundation’s other programs that serve the nursing profession, visit DAISYfoundation.org.
The Daisy Foundation at AACN/NTI (May 2012)
(l-r: Melissa Barnes, Regional Program Director - West, Cindy Lefton, Reserach Team Leader - DAISY Impact Study, Tena Barnes Carraher, Co-founder, Regional Program Director - East, Peter Maher, International Program Director, Bonnie Barnes, Co-founder, President and Mark Barnes, Co-founder, Chairman)