Brant Community Healthcare System
POSITION: Permanent Part-Time Registered Nurse
DEPARTMENT: Critical Care Unit
Reporting to the Clinical Manager, Critical Care, the RN is responsible for providing evidenced based, comprehensive, safe, effective and ethical nursing care to all clients in need of Critical Care Services.
- Graduate of an accredited college or university nursing program
- Registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current experience in a critical/intensive or coronary care unit setting
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification
- Demonstrated ability to work within a Total Patient Care Delivery system in which regulated health care professionals practice to their full scope adhering to the practice standards as defined by the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Proven critical thinking skills, creative problem solver with a solution focus and patient centred approach
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and use effective interpersonal skills with colleagues and other members of the BCHS and external partners
- Ability to multi task and set priorities in a high intensity and rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated competence in patient assessment and care planning including but not limited to:
- Completion of comprehensive (systems based) patient assessments, identification and prioritization of critical patient needs, collaborative care planning with clients and families, implementation of nursing interventions, delegated medical acts, evaluation and documentation.
- Ensuring a discharge plan is part of the individualized plan of care
- Engaging patient and family in health teaching to achieved desired patient outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to interpret cardiac arrhythmias, describe their hemodynamic consequences and usual treatment approaches
- Demonstrated knowledge of life saving medications, intravenous vasoactive medications, paralytic agents, as well as general drug dosage calculation, administration of continuous medication infusions (such as but not limited to titrated vasoactive agents, platelet inhibitors, antiarrhythmic agents, thrombolytics, and insulin) and patient monitoring for medication effects
- Demonstrated ability to recognize the signs and symptoms of cardiopulmonary emergencies and initiation of advanced interventions to stabilize a patient.
- Demonstrated competencies in phlebotomy, IV initiation as well as care for central lines
- Demonstrated technical competencies in effective use of associated equipment including, but not limited to:
- Assisting with the initiation of life saving procedures such as: intubation, airway management, defibrillation, external pacing, and transvenous pacing.
- Effective management of airway support including mechanical ventilation
- IV Infusion pumps, oxygen delivery systems, telemetry packs, glucometers, noninvasive blood pressure, specialty beds and overlay mattresses, closed chest tube drainage systems, and wound management systems, and transduced pressure lines (e.g., CVP, Arterial)
- Physically capable of performing the full scope of responsibilities
- Reliable individual with excellent attendance record and able to work all shifts
- Successful completion of Critical Care Certificate Program or an equivalent
- Member of RNAO
- Demonstrated competence with Wound Vac Systems, PA Catheter management
- Self-directed individual with the ability to work both independently and in partnership with members of the inter-professional team
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education and personal development in nursing
- Demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to be a coach, teacher and mentor to colleagues and students
Primary Responsibilities also include:
- Safety (patient, worker and workplace) is a BCHS Corporate Priority. The successful applicant will demonstrate good stewardship in the identification, reporting and mitigation of unsafe acts or conditions.
Brant Community Healthcare System is an equal opportunity employer. In order to ensure equal opportunities during the recruitment and selection process, Brant Community Healthcare System provides accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request.
Explore this exciting opportunity by forwarding
your resume & cover letter to:
Posted: August 14, 2017
Expires: September 15, 2017