Durham College - Professor CC Program
The School of Health & Community Services
Requires a Full-time Professor
Critical Care Program
Durham College is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified individuals, including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Durham College is seeking an experienced and motivated professional who shares our commitment to quality and student success. The School of Health & Community Services requires a full-time professor to teach in the Critical Care and Practical Nursing programs:
- Critical Care – Neurological Nursing
- Acute Medical – Surgical Nursing
Candidates must be available to teach classes Monday through Thursday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. and Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., during the January to August teaching cycle. Non-teaching and vacation occur between September and December.
The responsibilities of Durham College Professors include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a positive learning environment that accommodate students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and individual learning styles;
- Utilizing principles of adult education to actively engage students in the learning process;
- Effectively using educational technologies to support learning, manage and post grades, and deliver hybrid and on-line courses;
- Developing curriculum that uses appropriate strategies and tools to assess student learning;
- Ensuring that course and program curriculum is current and relevant;
- Working independently and demonstrating initiative; and
- Working effectively with students, the program team and a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in Nursing is the required credential for the position, in addition to appropriate Critical Care Certification. A Baccalaureate degree in Nursing in combination with a Masters of Education or a Masters of Health Science Degree would also be considered. PhD would be an asset.
- A minimum of five years of recent and relevant clinical experience in critical care and acute health challenges.
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level with a demonstrated application of adult educational principles, teaching/assessment methodologies and experience with hybrid and or online learning.
- Use of technology to support student learning and managing grades;
- Superior verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Committed to life-long learning;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Track record in meeting deadlines;
- Self-motivated and independent worker who also functions well in a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders including students, other faculty members, support staff, administrators, other departments within the College and with external partners;
- Understanding of the Ontario community college system;
- Interest and/or experience in conducting research;
Preference will be given to candidates with relevant educational credentials and a proven track record of relevant work/teaching experience.
For more information on the required professional development for all new full-time faculty, please see the following website: http://cafe.durhamcollege.ca/index.php/teaching-learning/dc-teaching-skills-abilities
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide a 20-minute teaching demonstration. Details will be provided when interviews are scheduled.
Durham College provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
- T: 905.721.3073
- F: 905.721.3134
- E: HumanResources@durhamcollege.ca
- In person: Campus Corners building, 2069 Simcoe Street North, Oshawa, Ont.
Please apply below by submitting your cover letter and resume to the online portal. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm on March 30, 2017. The competition number is AC17-01.
We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College
however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted: March 15, 2017
Expiry: March 30, 2017